Pumpkin Spice: A Flavour with Rich History and 9 inspirational recipes.
Pumpkin spice has become a ubiquitous flavor during the fall season, with everything from lattes to cookies featuring this warm and comforting blend of spices. While many may associate it solely with pumpkin pie, its origins and uses go far beyond that classic dessert.
The history of this spice mixture can be traced back to the early spice trade, when cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves were highly prized and sought after in Europe. These spices, along with ginger and allspice, became popular flavorings for sweet baked goods and eventually made their way to the American colonies.
It wasn’t until the mid-20th century that pumpkin spice as we know it today began to take shape. McCormick, the spice company, introduced a pre-made blend of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and allspice specifically marketed for use in pumpkin pie. This blend soon became popular for other fall desserts and eventually found its way into coffee shops and other food and beverage products.
The Surprising Health Benefits of Pumpkin Spice
Today, it is a beloved flavour and scent that is associated with the fall season but we feel can be used at any time of the year. Its warm and comforting notes make it the perfect addition to baked goods, coffee, and even savory dishes like roasted vegetables or chili.
While it may seem like a purely indulgent flavour, it actually has some potential health benefits. Cinnamon, one of the main ingredients that is used, has been shown to have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, as well as potential benefits for blood sugar control. Nutmeg, another key ingredient, has been studied for its potential anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving effects.
Creative and Delicious Ways to Incorporate Pumpkin Spice
Pumpkin spice is a versatile ingredient that can be used in a wide variety of recipes, from sweet to savory. Here are some more recipe ideas to inspire your cooking:
- Granola: Combine rolled oats, pumpkin puree, maple syrup, pumpkin spice, and chopped nuts in a large bowl. Spread the mixture out on a baking sheet and bake until crispy and golden brown. Serve with yogurt or milk for a delicious breakfast or snack.
- Overnight Oats: In a mason jar or container, combine rolled oats, pumpkin puree, almond milk, pumpkin spice, and a dash of vanilla extract. Refrigerate overnight and enjoy a pumpkin spice latte flavored breakfast in the morning.
- Roasted Chickpeas: Drain and rinse a can of chickpeas and pat them dry. Toss the chickpeas with pumpkin spice, salt, and a drizzle of olive oil. Roast in the oven until crispy and golden brown. Serve as a snack or as a topping for salads or bowls.
- Energy Bites: In a food processor, combine dates, pumpkin puree, oats, almond butter, and pumpkin spice until a dough forms. Roll the dough into balls and refrigerate until firm. These energy bites make a great pre- or post-workout snack.
- Pancakes: Add pumpkin puree and pumpkin spice to your favorite pancake batter recipe. Serve with butter and maple syrup for a delicious fall breakfast.
- Chia Pudding: In a bowl, whisk together chia seeds, almond milk, pumpkin puree, pumpkin spice, and maple syrup. Refrigerate for at least an hour, or overnight, until the pudding has thickened. Top with whipped cream and a sprinkle of pumpkin spice for a festive treat.
- Smoothie Bowl: Blend together frozen banana, pumpkin puree, almond milk, pumpkin spice, and a handful of spinach for a nutritious and delicious smoothie bowl. Top with granola, nuts, and seeds for added texture.
- Hummus: In a food processor, combine chickpeas, pumpkin puree, tahini, lemon juice, pumpkin spice, and garlic until smooth. Serve with pita chips or vegetables for a tasty and healthy snack.
With these recipe ideas, you can enjoy the warm and comforting flavors of pumpkin spice in a variety of different ways. From breakfast to snacks to desserts, there’s no shortage of delicious ways to incorporate this beloved fall flavor into your cooking.
What makes Ujamaa Spice Pumpkin Spice blend so special?
Our Ujamaa Spice Pumpkin Spice Blend is not just any spice blend. Unlike most commercial blends that use a variety of stale, nearly tasteless spices mixed from different batches, our blend is made from the freshest spices that we could find. We take pride in knowing exactly where our spices come from, and we ensure that the farmers are paid fairly. Our unique Swahili twist on the classic pumpkin spice adds a touch of the Indian ocean to your taste buds.
The base of our blend is the crowd-favorite Kidichi Cinnamon, which provides a delightful citrusy sweetness, complemented by a heavy dose of our popular Mitakawani ginger to enhance the floral and citrusy notes. A sprinkle of Mitakawani Yellow cardamom ties the cinnamon and ginger together, and the world’s best Kidichi Cloves give it a lingering warmth. A generous grating of Mitakawani Nutmeg and mace adds a nutty sweetness, and a tiny dash of Kidichi Black Pepper adds a touch of piquancy and ‘oomph’ to the blend, making it truly unforgettable.
Overall, pumpkin spice is a versatile and beloved flavour that has become synonymous with the fall season but really can be used all year round. Whether enjoyed in baked goods, coffee or savoury dishes, it’s a flavour that brings warmth and comfort to any dish. And with some potential health benefits to boot, there’s no reason not to indulge in this delicious and festive blend of spices.